Each temp. housing unit will be outfitted with two bedrooms, shower and open space
FREEPORT, GRAND BAHAMA — The first phase of the temporary relief facility to accommodate residents displaced by Hurricane Dorian will include an estimated 250 housing units, Eyewitness News understands.
The relief facility, which is part of the beginning stages of recovery on the island after it was decimated by the record storm on September 1-3, is expected to encourage displaced residents from Abaco to return to the island as the government, its agencies and range of regional and international organizations continue recovery efforts.
Government officials from the Department of Lands and Surveys and the Department of Housing travelled to Abaco earlier today to survey four areas of land identified as the potential site for the temporary family relief facility, expected to accommodate an estimated two thousand residents when completed.
The facility will span across 12 acres of land.
Large excavators cleared land in Spring City, approximately four miles from the Marsh Harbour International Airport as quantity surveyors mapped out the site.
While plans have yet to be formally revealed for the layout of the temporary relief facility, it is expected to include a community kitchen, capable of facilitating the preparation and delivery hundreds of meals per day; a recreational facility, and facilities for law enforcement and faculty in addition to the temporary housing units.
Each temporary housing unit in the facility is expected to be outfitted with a sewerage system; running water and will include two bedrooms, bathroom, shower, and open living space.
Each unit will be able to accommodate four to six people, Eyewitness News understands.
Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis announced Sunday that he expects the first phase of the facility to be completed within three to four weeks.
The prime minister has said the government will establish the facilities and allow people to stay in mobile homes on their properties as they seek to recover and rebuild in the affected islands.
The prime minister advised that many Abaconians have requested permission to bring trailers onto their properties to live on the compound during the rebuilding process.
He also said the government was discussing the establishment of a man camp for workers rebuilding the areas.
Eyewitness News understands land has been identified for the man camp on Abaco.
In remains unclear how many people remain on the island.
More than 5,500 people were evacuated from the affected islands, according to the National Emergency Management Agency. Over 2,000 people were being housed in shelters across New Providence as of last week.
The death toll following Dorian is at least 53.