The Big Story

MOVING TOO SLOW: FNM considering litigation with government over canceled contracts

NASSAU, BAHAMAS — The Free National Movement (FNM) is prepared to take legal action against the government if it does not honor dozens of contracts that were awarded under the previous Minnis administration. The legal matter is currently being spearheaded by former Yamacraw MP Elsworth Johnson and former Tall Pines MP Don Saunders. During a press conference addressing the issue...

Read moreDetails

Smith assumes role of deputy director of Supplies Management Agency

NASSAU, BAHAMAS — Chief Pharmacist at the Princess Margaret Hospital (PMH) Dr Marvin Smith has been appointed to deputy director at the Supplies Management Agency. Smith, who assumed the role on Monday, will be responsible for procurement planning, quality, monitoring, and evaluation. The agency has had long-standing challenges with global supply management and the turnover of its leadership due to...

Read moreDetails

TRYING AGAIN: Carnival operators submit ‘comprehensive health protocol’ in new request for permission to open

Attorney contends Ministry of Health "exposed themselves to litigation"  NASSAU, BAHAMAS — Attorneys of McCafferty’s Enterprises Bahamas Limited, the owners of the Christmas carnival, said they have submitted a comprehensive document to health officials in their new application for approval to operate.  This comes after the carnival was denied approval from the Ministry of Health last week and could not...

Read moreDetails

KNIFE FIGHT AT PMH: Nurses union calls for increased security across health sector following patient brawl

Three men brawl at Accident & Emergency over weekend NASSAU, BAHAMAS — Following a brawl involving three men at Princess Margaret Hospital (PMH) over the weekend, Bahamas Nurses Union (BNU) President Amancha Williams is calling on the government to beef up security across healthcare services. In an interview with Eyewitness News, Williams said the BNU had met with the Ministry...

Read moreDetails

NEW AGE OF INVESTMENT: Over 500 Bahamians subscribe to cruise port IPO; $11 million raised thus far

Bahamas Investment Fund aims to give economic opportunities to thousands of Bahamians Offering closes Dec 17 NASSAU, BAHAMAS — The Nassau Cruise Port (NCP) has attracted in excess of 500 subscriptions to its Bahamas Investment Fund (BIF) offering thus far, with a total value exceeding $11 million. Angelo Butler, senior analyst at CFAL, the book runner for the BIF offering,...

Read moreDetails

EYE ON IMPORTED CASES: More than half of new COVID infections had history of travel

Omicron variant found to be three times more transmissible than delta, but milder symptoms NASSAU, BAHAMAS — Just over half of the newly confirmed coronavirus infections yesterday had a history of travel. The Ministry of Health confirmed 19 new cases, 15 of which were on New Providence, three on Grand Bahama and one on Long Island. Of these, 10 cases...

Read moreDetails

SEEKING MORE OPTIONS: Kiddie vax and ‘COVID pills’ would be helpful in fight against pandemic, says CPSA

NASSAU, BAHAMAS — Consultant Physicians Staff Association (CPSA) President Sabriquet Pinder-Butler said yesterday the acquisition of pediatric vaccines and the COVID-19 pill would be “very helpful” in the fight against COVID. Her comments come as the government continues to source pediatric Pfizer vaccines from the international market, just weeks ahead of thousands of students returning to a hybrid model including...

Read moreDetails

CLEAN WATER RESTORED: Grand Bahama potability island-wide as GBUC $5 mil RO plant fully up and running

25% discount for some customers and water depots to be discontinued  NASSAU, BAHAMAS — The Grand Bahama Utility Company (GBUC) yesterday announced that its $5 million state-of-the art reverse osmosis (RO) plant is now fully operational to provide potable water to the island of Grand Bahama.  The company said in a statement that the three-million-gallon RO facility has been extensively...

Read moreDetails

FOREFRONT OF THE BLUE ECONOMY: Govt eyeing domination in yachting and private charter industry

AG pledges to support Bahamas Maritime Authority & work with transport minister on legislation to attract yachting market NASSAU, BAHAMAS — Attorney General Ryan Pinder said yesterday that just as the government seeks to stay ahead of the class in the shipping industry, by advancing the Merchant Shipping Act, it is also seeking to make greater inroads in the yachting...

Read moreDetails

TOP 10: The Bahamas’ Chantel O’Brian makes history in Miss Universe pageant

NASSAU, BAHAMAS — Chantel O’Brian made history last night, becoming the first Bahamian woman to place top 10 in the revered Miss Universe contest in its 70-year history. Eighty women from around the world vied to become the next Miss Universe in Eilat, Israel. O’Brian, 27, has become a silent favorite among the contestants with a growing fan base who...

Read moreDetails

“CAUTIOUSLY OPTIMISTIC”: Carnival operators reapply for health approval to operate

Down the drain: Another denial would cost McCafferty’s “substantial investment”  Economic affairs minister hopes carnival operators can reach a compromise NASSAU, BAHAMAS — The operators of the Christmas Carnival have reapplied to the Ministry of Health for approval to operate for the holiday season after being initially denied last week.   In a statement yesterday, the operators advised that they...

Read moreDetails

PREPARED FOR CHANGE: Businesses given 90 good days to adjust prices to lower VAT rate

Govt prepared to work with businesses that may need assistance adjusting NASSAU, BAHAMAS — Businesses will have up to 90 days after implementation of the 10 percent value-added tax (VAT) rate to make changes on price tags to reflect the decrease, according to Minister of Economic Affairs Michael Halkitis. The Davis administration has passed a new supplementary bill and amendments...

Read moreDetails

SMOOTH FLYING: Govt expects seamless transition out of travel health visa starting today

DPM says airlines will verify required COVID test results  NASSAU, BAHAMAS — The government expects a seamless transition as it removes the requirement for travel health visas for Bahamians and residents returning to the country. The new initiative, which was a major campaign promise of the Progressive Liberal Party (PLP), goes into effect today. The visa, however, will remain in...

Read moreDetails

TAKE IT FROM THE TOP: Fusion set back 2 years by pandemic; execs hope profitability will return by summer

Officials say slashed ticket prices here to stay for foreseeable future Foulkes: It will take some time for us to climb out of the hole NASSAU, BAHAMAS — Fusion Superplex executives said over the weekend that the COVID-19 pandemic has been "devastating" to the business’ bottom line, setting it back two years. Fusion Superplex CEO Carlos Foulkes said: “We’re back...

Read moreDetails

PATH TO PROSPERITY: Economy on rebound but ‘not out of the woods yet’, says economic affairs minister

Halkitis says businesses reopening, full hotels and increased airlift all positive signs for The Bahamas NASSAU, BAHAMAS — Economic Affairs Minister Michael Halkitis said all indications suggest the Bahamian economy is set for a rebound, although he cautioned that “we are not out of the woods yet”. Minister of Economic Affairs Michael Halkitis. While speaking on the sidelines of a...

Read moreDetails

A GRAND RETURN: Eleuthera luxury resort set for reopening next week

Luxury property accepting bookings as of Dec 20, 2021 NASSAU, BAHAMAS — After being closed for more than a year, The Cove Eleuthera is set to reopen its doors next week.  The luxury resort on Eleuthera closed its doors back in April of 2020. The Enchantment Group, an award-winning hospitality company, had purchased the 40-acre luxury beachfront resort from New Orleans-based businessman...

Read moreDetails

KOMOLAFE STEPS DOWN: Former DNA Leader says current party structure unsustainable

NASSAU, BAHAMAS — Arinthia Komolafe yesterday announced her resignation as leader of the Democratic National Alliance Leader and from front-line politics. Deputy Leader Steven Nesbitt has been appointed as the interim leader. Komolafe entered front-line politics in 2017 and became the leader of the DNA in 2019. “To say that the journey has been filled with its challenges is an...

Read moreDetails
Page 120 of 684 1 119 120 121 684

Add New Playlist

Not enough quota to unlock this post
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?
Hide picture