Long lines wrapped around the Department of Labour offices Wednesday, as representatives of the Bougues Batiment International – the foreign construction company assisting in the development of a new resort on Ocean Cay, Bimini – interviewed candidates for the new project.
At a press conference Tuesday, Labour Director Robert Farquharson said, the project will provide temporary as well as permanent jobs for hundreds of Bahamians.
More than 261 persons, he said, showed up to register for an interview with the foreign company, primarily men.
Department of Labor Public Relations Officer Pia Rolle said, all registered persons who are called in for an interview, will find out if they are hired on the spot.
Last year, the Christie administration broke ground on the $200 million Ocean Cay development, which is said to encompass a cruise port, boutique hotel and marine park. The project includes the development of a day-resort for cruise ship passengers.
Farquharson said the job fair is exactly what the Bahamian market needs.
“This is an excellent opportunity for Bahaman citizens who are unemployed, who have skills in the construction industry, to be employed on an impressive development. The company has also confirmed that they will be providing room and board, three meals a day, as well as transportation to and from the cay on a regular basis. We look forward to working with this company to provide gainful employment for Bahamians,” he said.
The company said it is looking to recruit the following positions: cleaners, concrete installers, document controllers, door and hardware installers, drywall and ceiling installers, equipment mechanics, landscape planters, painters, finishers, security guards, store keeper, steel reinforcement installers, surveyors, surveying assistants, welders, plant nursery attendants, roofing installers and tile and flooring installers.
The job fair is expected to continue in Grand Bahama Thursday and Friday.