World Food Programme preparing exit from Bahamas

World Food Programme preparing exit from Bahamas

NASSAU, BAHAMAS – The World Food Programme (WFP) has announced plans to scale down operations in The Bahamas by December 3.

In the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian, the agency handled the logistics of donated food items purchased by the National Emergency Management Agency, along with other forms of aid to storm-ravaged areas .

“WFP has begun the process to handover full responsibility for the coordination of logistics and food security matters to the government of The Bahamas,” said the humanitarian group in its November 28 report.

“WFP logistics operations will be scaling down by December 3.

“WFP has relocated its logistics hub in Marsh Harbour to a new site to facilitate the resumption of full commercial operations in the port.

“WFP will donate the logistics hub to NEMA to continue the relief and recovery support on Abaco.”

Last week, Eyewitness News Online reported on extensive training sessions for several Bahamians to continue the work initiated by WFP.

Jack Thompson, redevelopment coordinator for Abaco, has said he is confident Bahamians have the ability to manage food-assistance as WFP prepares its exit from The Bahamas.

The number of people that received assistance from the WFP mushroomed from around 2,100 people in September, to some 6,100 in October and 6,6000 in November.

“Food assistance continues to be provided by NEMA throughout the affected areas,” the WFP report continued.

“Currently, multipurpose cash assistance is being provided by partners in areas with greater market functionality and is expected to continue to scale up as capacities are put in place and markets revive. Farmers’ markets are also reopening with support from INGOs”

The organization said it is also preparing to implement a value-based voucher program on Abaco in December while continuing to provide technical support to local authorities to address food security needs.

Leave a Reply