Woods: Union members did not tamper with water supply

Woods: Union members did not tamper with water supply
Bahamas Utilities Services and Allied Workers Union (BUSAWU) President Dwayne Woods. (FILE PHOTO)

Gibson says camera footage shows otherwise, police report filed

NASSAU, BAHAMAS – President of the Bahamas Utility Services and Allied Workers Union (BUSAWU), Dwayne Woods on Wednesday refuted claims made by Executive Chairman of the Water & Sewage Corporation, Adrian Gibson, who claimed that members of the union had tampered with the water supply in the capital on Tuesday night.

“We will not do anything to affect the general public or the populous of this country in that demeanor,” Woods told Eyewitness News Online.

Gibson released a statement last night explaining that Pressure Regulating Value (PRV) alarms were going off across New Providence on Tuesday night, which was an indication that valves were being shut off in a concerted and intentional effort to disrupt the water supply.

Woods has vehemently denied these claims and said if the chairman can provide evidence that the valves were tampered with, his union would assist in finding the culprit.

“The union does not condone wrong doing in no way, and if he [Adrian Gibson] has proof we will partner with him in bringing that person or those persons to justice,” Woods said.

President of the Managerial Union, Ednel Rolle also maintained that any operation of water valves is handled by private contractors and union members have no access.

“The private contractor has total control of our system,” Rolle said “Anything that goes wrong that contractor knows immediately. So, if a valve was shut off then the contractor would know within 10 minutes. The mere fact that the whole system is down tells me that there may be collusion between the chairman and the contractor,” Rolle alleged.

During his address at the House of Assembly on Wednesday morning, Gibson said that he has filed two police reports on the matter.

“Our camera footage showed a truck familiar to managers and staff at WSC entering the compound via the back gate. The truck then stayed for two minutes. The driver of the vehicle then chained the gate and knocked out our camera,” he said.

“The police have been reviewing footage from various other cameras taking statements of security officers and other personnel and no doubt will be addressing the matter.”

Gibson added that following investigations, person involved will be dismissed and referred to the police.