Henfield: visa suspension has nothing to do with Haitian embassy investigation
NASSAU, BAHAMAS — The Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced today that due to current “technical and other challenges”, the issuance of visas to Haitian nationals has been suspended until further notice.
In a statement, the ministry said the suspension does not apply to nationals who are officials, diplomats or holders of a United States, United Kingdom, Canadian or Schengen visa.
“The ministry apologizes for any inconveniences caused to the travelling public,” read the statement.
When contacted, Minister of Foreign Affairs Darren Henfield said the visa suspension has nothing to do with the Haitian government’s investigation into concerns of corruption at its embassy in Nassau or the reported recalls and transfers of at least six diplomats since the Haitian commission of inquiry completed its investigation.
According to The Haiti Sentinel, which translated in English an original article by Le Nouvelliste on the recalls, Haitian Foreign Affairs Minister Bocchit Edmond told the Le Nouvelliste that the commission’s report revealed “unacceptable situations” at the embassy.
The commission completed its investigation earlier this month, according to international reports.
In an interview with reporters Tuesday, the minister said he had no other information other than “what’s already in the public domain that has been published in the newspapers in Haiti, and has also been published in our papers locally”.
He said he had hoped to speak with Edmond soon and relations between Haiti and The Bahamas remain strong.