Two more murders

Two more murders

Murders down 23 percent 

NASSAU, BAHAMAS – Two men were gunned down in separate incidents over the Easter holiday weekend, police reported.

In the first incident, officers responding reports of gunshots near Bone Fish Pond, off Cowpen Road, around 6 p.m. Sunday found a man with gunshot injuries to the body.

He died on scene.

The victim’s identify was not released, however, police said he was in his mid-20s.

The motive behind the shooting was unclear.

Chief Superintendent Solomon Cash appealed to the public to come forward with any information.

“We don’t know if the victim resides in this area or what the victim may have been doing in this area,” he told reporters.

“Again, we are appealing to members of the public who have any information to contact us and give us that information.

Police also reported that shortly after midnight Monday a man was shot on Forster Street, Chippingham.

Details surrounding the shooting was limited up to press time.

According to police, emergency medical service personnel provided medical treatment to the man on scene, but were unsuccessful.

The incident pushed the murder count for the year to 21, representing an 22 percent decline in murders.

Up to this point last year, there were 27 murders.

Speaking to the trend, Cash said police continue to work hard to reign in on criminality in The Bahamas.

He said following these recent killings, police with increase their efforts and continue to target prolific offenders and execute intelligence-led strategies.