Some Sybil Strachan Primary students sent home

Some Sybil Strachan Primary students sent home

NASSAU, BAHAMAS – On the heels of a confirmed scabies scare at the Sybil Strachan Primary School last week, the school reopened on Monday but several students were sent home because they could not show proof that they had been treated and cleared to return to school.

“A few of them returned to school this morning without the card needed to prove that they were cleared and the principal was able to take them out, said Bahamas Union of Teachers president Belinda Wilson.  “They are out in the centre court with the nurse and the principal and his team are contacting parents.”

Sybil Strachan Primary closed last Friday for students following reports of a scabies outbreak. This was later confirmed by Minister of Health Dr. Duane Sands who said between 15 and 22 persons at the school were affected.

Wilson said testing for the skin disease, which is caused by mites, continued today with teachers and students with the help of nurses from the ministry of health.

Wilson also said that the assistance of the school’s principal was helpful in dealing with the outbreak.

“I must say the teachers and the union were very pleased with the manner in which the principal has dealt with the issue because he was in constant contact with the ministry of health and their nurses,” Wilson said.

She further revealed that the school would be hosting a Parent Teacher Association meeting this week to discuss safety concerns and provide tips to prevent any future spread of the skin disease.

Last week, minister of health Dr. Duane Sands revealed plans for a new initiative geared towards vaccinating children and teenagers.