PM: Unemployment benefits extended to December, another $45 million for COVID-19 support

PM: Unemployment benefits extended to December, another $45 million for COVID-19 support
Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis delivered a national address on Sunday, October 4.

NASSAU, BAHAMAS β€” Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis today revealed that the government-funded unemployment benefits program will continue through December, adding that an additional $45 million has been allocated to COVID-19 support initiatives.

During a national address, Minnis said $10 million has been allocated to support the second phase of the national food program until the end of December.

“This government-sponsored program is to ensure that Bahamians receive food assistance in a timely and responsible manner,” he said.

Some $146 million has been poured into the domestic economy via unemployment assistance.

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance K Peter Turnquest told Parliament last month that $15.4 million had been paid out under the unemployment assistance program to support self-employed persons. Those individuals would not ordinarily qualify for the unemployment benefit under the National Insurance Board (NIB).

The government also funded a special extension of unemployment benefits for unemployed persons who had exhausted their standard NIB benefit, with payments totaling just under $40 million.

The National Insurance Board has paid out over $90 million to-date.

5 comments

honestly I really don’t think minnis is doing a bad job,yes he could do somethings different but I think he’s doing well by the people. No I’m not an FNM but to he’s dealing with a delema Pindling,Ingrahm, Christie never faced or seen in the country life time. Now the Nation see we need to turn back to God quickly πŸ™.

Comments are closed.