PHA investigating leaked files of patients

Public Hospitals Authority (PHA)

Says information was not released by PHA’s Director of Communications

NASSAU, BAHAMAS – The Public Hospitals Authority (PHA) expressed on Thursday that it has launched an investigation after patient information appeared on a social media site earlier this week, in connection with an incident that occurred in New Providence on Sunday, June 30, 2019.

“The Authority can now confirm that the investigation’s initial findings indicate that the patient information was not released by Ms. Judy Terrell, Director of Communications (PHA) as published in the social media post, nor was Ms. Terrell ever in receipt of said document,” the PHA said in a statement issued yesterday.

The PHA said it is strongly committed to the strict confidentiality of patient information and medical records, and maintains strict compliance with the Data Protection Act and all relevant statutes of that Act.

“The PHA has expanded its investigation into this matter,” the statement concluded.

Meanwhile, earlier this week Minister of Health Dr. Duane Sands confirmed that the leaked lists had no names.

“In the back and forth of the exchange between government agencies, sanitized lists of patients regarding patients’ ages and [if they are] male and female etcetera would have been released; but no identifying information was released,” Sands confirmed.