NASSAU, BAHAMAS – Having held talks with the government for the past two days, President and Managing Director of Operations at Oban Energies, Alex Grikitis, last night referred to those meetings as ‘productive’.
“Oban remains committed to an environmentally sound, safe and sustainable development that will strengthen the East Grand Bahama communities, grow Grand Bahama’s and the wider national economy,” outlined a statement issued last night from Grikitis.
The Oban president said he is confident of a positive outcome and is looking forward to a strong partnership with the Bahamian people.
“Oban will comment further at the conclusion of the present negotiations,” Grikitis said.
Oban Energies proposes to construct a multi-billion dollar oil refinery and storage facility at East Grand Bahama.
Dialogue between the government and Oban heads started on Monday at the Ministry of Labour and continued for a second round on Tuesday at the Ministry of Finance.
Earlier this week, Minister of Labour Dion Foulkes, who also chairs the Cabinet sub-committee and technical advisory group charged with examining the Oban deal, also referred to the discussions as “productive”.
According to Foulkes, government has requested extensive changes to be made to the existing Heads of Agreement (HOA), mainly the environmental provisions, the economic clauses and legal provisions.