Labour Day victim speaks out

Annibelle Gibson – one of the dozens of victims injured in the Labour Day tragedy earlier this year – is calling for leniency from authorities who are reportedly still considering whether charges will be brought against the young man who was assisting in the investigation.

On June 1, the male driver of a Ford F-150 truck reportedly jumped out of the vehicle that went careening into a group of participants on the parade. Four women were killed in the incident.

Gibson, 63, suffered a fractured shoulder and hip, had a dislocated knee and fractured the tube from her urethra to her bladder. Unable to walk for weeks, Gibson explained that she continues to go to therapy as she remains in recovery.

“It is still a long road to recovery, I am not back to work… I’m still receiving therapy doctors are still deciding at this point if I should still have surgery,” Gibson said.

At last report, authorities said the driver of the vehicle was assisting with the investigation and the case was in the hands of the Attorney General’s office to determine if charges will be filed.

“I am not angry and I pray every day for the young man. I pray that he would be healed from this because I feel like he would have also suffered he is still young and I pray to God that he would also find some comfort,” she said.

“This was an accident and it was really tragic but you don’t want to kill him we want to pray for him because it was a nightmare so I can’t imagine what he went through.”

Following the tragedy, Labour Minister Dion Foulkes made recommendations for vehicles to be removed from parades.

It’s a suggestion that Gibson said she agrees with.

“If it was a larger truck, the damage would have been so much greater we need to look at the parade and make some changes,” she said.

Dianne Elizabeth Ferguson, 55; Kathleen Augusta Fernander, 51; Tabitha Charlene Haye, 41, and Tami Patrice Gibson, 48 we all killed in the incident.