NASSAU, BAHAMAS – Two international non-governmental organizations (NGOs) have come forward to cover housing costs for some 150 Hurricane Dorian evacuees currently residing in a South Florida hotel, according to Consul General in Miami Linda Mackey.
The families who have been staying in 30 rooms at the Inn Town Suites in Rivera Beach were initially slated to leave on November 11.
However, Mackey said their stay has been extended thanks to the assistance of the National Association of The Bahamas (NAB) and the Catholic Charities.
She said the NAB will also be covering costs until December 1, while Catholic Charities will cover the costs through winter.
Mackey said NGOs, and the Red Cross have been very helpful to Bahamians in the Palm Beach area.
In the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) processed more than 4,000 evacuees from The Bahamas – the majority of whom were American citizens, according to a CBP official.
The Bahamian consul has processed over 300 Dorian evacuees living in limbo in the United States since the passage of the deadly Category 5 storm and that number continues to grow daily.
School-aged children have been allowed in public schools in the cities, but the evacuees are not allowed to work as they only hold U.S. visitors’ visas.
Those Bahamians have been advised not to seek employment, which could jeopardize their visa status.
Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis previously urged those Dorian victims to return home where they will be accommodated in the government’s Family Relief Centre still being built.