GB surge traced to industrial job site

GB surge traced to industrial job site
Shutterstock

Targeted restrictions being recommended for GB

39 new COVID-19 cases confirmed

Health officials monitoring Family Island cases closely

NASSAU, BAHAMAS — Health officials have traced the recent spike of COVID-19 cases on Grand Bahama to a spread on an industrial job site.

During a press conference today, Minister of Health Renward Wells acknowledged that the island saw 38 confirmed cases on Wednesday.

He noted that 26 of those cases originated from employee interactions in the workplace of an electrical team.

He advised that those positive cases have been removed from the workplace and isolated and the surveillance unit continues to monitor the situation.

Another 19 cases were confirmed on Grand Bahama on Thursday, taking the number of cases on the island to 874.

There have been 83 new cases on Grand Bahama in the past week.

Dr Frank Bartlett, head of the GB COVID-19 Task Force, noted that while tracing found a cluster in the industrial field, there are also other sporadic cases with “no explanation” that may relate to community spread.

The other 12 cases confirmed on Wednesday include three from one of the gaming houses, four with no direct links in the community and others with no data to contact individuals.

Bartlett said: “The areas where we recognize an increasing number of positive cases we recommend targeted restrictions instead of having a complete lockdown.

“Once we can identify those, hopefully, we can curtail the increase we are seeing with that, as opposed to putting our community in not-so-nice conditions.”

 

Family Islands

Chief Medical Officer Dr Pearl McMillian said while the rate of hospitalized cases continues to slow down and decline, the second wave of the COVID-19 epidemic continues.

The average positivity rate stands at 17 percent.

One hundred and fifty-one people have died from the virus to date, and another 26 deaths are under investigation.

The latest death is a 70-year-old woman of New Providence who died on November 4.

The second wave has lasted over 131 days compared to the first wave, which waned in less than 100 days.

McMillian said Cat Cay and the MICAL grouping have remained COVID-free for the last 50 days.

However, other Family Islands including Exuma, Eleuthera, Bimini and Andros have seen cases rise recently.

The prime minister announced a weekend curfew for Exuma after the island recorded 80 cases in one week.

An assessment team has been dispatched to review the spread. 
On Andros, officials observed that cases have extended from Nicholls Town in the north to Kemps Bay in the south and they are monitoring the island closely.

McMillian advised that a large church convention on Bimini last week Sunday led to an increase in COVID-19 cases on the island.

To date, over 15 suspected cases are linked to that event and officials await the results of that swab test.
McMillian said symptoms of one of the individuals on Bimini was severe enough to warrant being airlifted to New Providence.

She added: “This is no time to let our guard down, this is no time to be complacent”.

1 comments

Amazing that many of their charts show data up to Nov 1, 2020. Decisions that destroy lives should be made using current dara. 2 weeks is a long time in a highly contagious, death guarenteeing pandemic????? 2 weeks can guarentee destruction of a livelihood, a business, a marriage, and more……

Comments are closed.