Garbage pile-up to be remedied

NASSAU, BAHAMAS –  Following countless complaints from residents that garbage had not been collected prior to the Christmas holiday season, the Department of Environmental Health Services (DEHS) announced Tuesday that garbage collection in New Providence will be increased to twice per week beginning February.

Melony McKenzie, Director, DEHS said that the department anticipates the new system will result in a much smoother collection of garbage that will adequately tackle the over-accumulation of waste since the holiday season.

McKenzie said as of Monday afternoon,  a vast majority of collection routes in New Providence had been completed.

She confirmed via a press statement Tuesday that the remaining routes will be done shortly.

The release, while outlining DEHS’ intent to rectify the issue, did not explain what led to the major pile up.

However, The Progressive Liberal Party (PLP) asserted Tuesday that the garbage pile-up came as a result of government negligence.

Philip Davis, Opposition PLP Leader, alleged that government terminated the services of all garbage collection companies on the island.

“We are learning that government has terminated the services of all garbage collection companies and replaced them with persons who do not possess the necessary equipment to carry out the service,” David suggested.

“It is no wonder why we have so much garbage piled up around the island.”

Davis chided government over the purported contract terminations and noted that it has put communities in “significant health risks.”

Leave a Reply