Dorian death toll increases to 69

Dorian death toll increases to 69
Aerial shot of The Mudd, Abaco post-Dorian

NASSAU, BAHAMAS — The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) yesterday confirmed the official death toll for Hurricane Dorian has risen to 69 after two unidentified human remains were found in The Mudd, Abaco.

The shanty town, populated by hundreds of unregulated homes, was leveled by Dorian in early September.

According to NEMA, the Royal Bahamas Police Force reported yesterday that one body was found on November 8, while another was located last Thursday.

Of the 69 recovered, 59 had been found in Abaco, while another 10 bodies were discovered in Grand Bahama.

NEMA did not provide an update on the number of people who remain missing more than two months after the storm

At last report the number of missing people stood well over 200.

It has been more than a month since authorities updated that figure.

In its statement, NEMA said recovery efforts were ongoing.

As it relates to missing people, NEMA said inquiries should either be made at the Central Detective Unit in New Providence and Grand Bahama, as well as the Abaco Police Station located in the government complex in Marsh Harbour.

Dorian, a Category 5 storm, pummeled the Abaco and Grand Bahama, displacing thousands.

Storm victims continues to reside in shelters in New Providence.

It remains unclear how many people reside in the five shelters in New Providence.

At last report, there were nearly 800 people spread across the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium and three large tents erected on the compound, as well as the Bahamas Academy Gymnasium.

Some displaced residents, particularly in Abaco remain in churches.

Others travelled to the United States, but have since returned to The Bahamas.

The government is in the process of establishing a temporary $6.4 million family relief facility in Abaco, which is expected to see the construction of 250 polycarbonate units in the first phase, each capable of housing up to four people.