NASSAU, BAHAMAS – Teachers at the C.V. Bethel Senior High School left their classrooms on Wednesday and opted not to teach, after the Ministry of Education reportedly failed to address an alleged altercation on the school’s campus that involved a student and teacher.
Earlier this week, authorities were summoned to the C.V. Bethel campus after an alleged physical altercation between a male teacher and two students.
The teacher was taken to the hospital to receive medical care after allegedly sustaining injuries to his arm. At the time, Bahamas Union of Teachers president Belinda Wilson told Eyewitness News Online that the alleged scuffle was the outcome of a heated discussion that transpired between the teacher and a student, which resulted in another student becoming involved.
Yesterday, Wilson said teachers convened in the staffroom to discuss the alleged act of violence that was displayed on Monday, as well as the precautionary measures that should be taken to prevent a recurrence.
“Teachers are concerned about children and the children not having [any] boundaries,” Wilson said.
“Teachers are concerned that students do not have the respect [to understand] that this is your teacher.
“Teachers are now in the staffroom and they are putting together health and safety plans that they would be able to use, not only for fire drills, but if there is violence, crime, or a disruption on the school’s campus.
“So, we hope that we are able to get that matter resolved in a timely manner so that school can go on as normal.”
Meanwhile, before Wilson was allowed to engage the principal at C.V. Bethel yesterday, she told Eyewitness News Online that security guards at the school’s entrance claimed that they had reportedly received orders from the principal’s office to deny entry to any union official or affiliate.
“What took me back this morning was when I arrived, the security said that I was not allowed on the premises, but I did go on the premises,” Wilson said.
“I went to the principal’s office and I expressed my displeasure about the order she gave to the security because union access is something that we have. It is a right.
“We are required to do a follow-up on the matter that we would have discussed yesterday and to ensure our members that we are working on their behalf and making sure that we are getting some resolution and a plan on how the school plans to move forward,” the BUT president said.
Wilson said, “As for the students that allegedly injured the teacher, we understand that they have been taken into custody as the teacher has made a complaint,” Wilson added.
Repeated attempts to reach officials at the Ministry of Education on Wednesday for comment were unsuccessful.
This story was written by Matthew Moxey – Eyewitness News Online Intern