Homeowners encouraged to get insurance
Minister of Public Works Desmond Bannister announced Thursday that there will be a reinforcement of “strict” guidelines to the rebuilding of homes post hurricane season.
“If you’re coming to make a claim on your home, you have to prove that you own the property,” Bannister told Eyewitness News Online less than three months before the beginning of the 2018 hurricane season.
“We have strict limits. We’re not going to spend more than $4,000 on anybody’s house anymore.”
Last year, Hurricane Irma left behind a devastating impact on a number of family islands.
However, the minister said, “The government ought not to be spending tax payer money to fix a home that you can’t prove you own.”
“If you have a home that costs over $100,000, you ought to pay an insurance premium so that, if something happens, you will have your home paid for by the insurance.”