NASSAU, BAHAMAS — More than 100 Chinese construction workers at The Pointe development will return home in mid-October, according to Counselor at the Chinese Embassy Haigang Yin.
“We are still working on that arrangement, but we are making progress,” Yin told Eyewitness News.
“I have been working with CCA (China Construction America) to realize this charter flight.
“We are considering arranging the charter flight in October.”
He continued: “We are aiming at the middle part of October.”
The workers demonstrated in front of the embassy earlier this month to return home as work on the downtown project neared completion.
The workers have been in The Bahamas for over six months, and in some cases more than a year.
Workers also expressed concerns about their safety amid a continued surge of cases of COVID-19 in The Bahamas
Yin said both the developer and embassy has attached a lot of importance on the protection of workers at the project.
“We had two rounds of meetings and also the embassy sent several teams to The Pointe project to help them to strengthen their protection,” he said.
“We provided instructions, as well as the headquarters of the company, provided guidelines to the project for them to protect the workers.
“The embassy assisted the company, procuring some PPEs from China to be used for all the workers.
“Also, members were distancing with each other as well as distancing between the Chinese workers and the Bahamian workers.
“We’re quite confident that the protection of the Chinese workers and the construction site is quite good.
COVID-19 originated in Wuhan, China, in December, but the country has since largely returned to normal having reigned in the spread of the virus.
Cases of COVID-19 have continued to surge daily in The Bahamas, particularly in New Providence, though there has been a downward trend in recent days.
As of Thursday, there were 3,177 cases in The Bahamas.