Bahamian track athlete found dead in Georgia

Bahamian track athlete found dead in Georgia

NASSAU, BAHAMAS – On Thursday, Dekalb County Police identified a man shot to death Tuesday afternoon in the parking lot of an office park in Stone Mountain, Georgia as former Bahamian track and field standout Douglas Lynes-Bell.

The 37-year-old lived in Atlanta, Georgia and represented The Bahamas on numerous national teams as a junior at the CARIFTA Games.

In an interview with Eyewitness News Sports, Bahamas Consul General in Atlanta Astra Armbrister said that Lynes-Bell’s family, including his twin brother Dwayne, arrived in Atlanta earlier today to meet with investigators.

She extended her condolences to Lynes-Bell’s family and said that she’ll be closely following the investigation as it unfolds.

“We offer our sincere condolences and will keep the family in our prayers,” she said. “As far as the investigation, it’s still ongoing and we will be following. We will be working and cooperating with police officers to help assist them as best that we can.”

Lynes-Bell’s former coach David Charlton said that Douglas and his brother were the first athletes enrolled in the Star Trackers Club. He said that he’s proud of the way they were able to make something of themselves despite coming from challenging circumstances.

“When I first met them, the names we had for Douglas and Dwayne was double trouble, because they were really always in trouble,” Charlton said. “I found out that they were getting leaving certificates from Government High, but I tried to encourage them and show them the opportunities available to them through athletics.

“They bought in, went to Mt. Carmel, turned themselves around and earned college scholarships. Douglas was able to finish his Master’s degree, and his brother works as a correctional officer. So, to see what they made themselves, knowing where they came from. I am proud.”

Investigators have not yet said whether Lynes-Bell was killed at the scene, or if he was moved there. They suspect he was shot sometime Monday night, but not discovered until afternoon.