AG: Order in the shanty town case amended

AG: Order in the shanty town case amended

NASSAU, BAHAMAS – Attorney General Carl Bethel revealed on Monday that the Order in the shanty town case has been amended.

“The order in the shanty town case was amended to prevent any building anywhere in the Bahamas that is not according to code,” Bethel said.

“The shanty town case itself has not been sat down for a hearing, but in due course, we will be applying for a hearing date.”

Meanwhile, Bethel told Eyewitness News that any building that is built in violation of the codes in The Bahamas must cease and desist and they will eventually be taken down.

However, regarding shanty towns, Bethel said that in due course headway will be made.

Last November, Bethel revealed that he was to meet with the attorneys involved in the shanty town eviction case but the government, he said, was seeking to have an amendment to an injunction to prevent any unlicensed building or additions to any structures in any of the shanty towns.

Early last year (2018), the government also announced plans to demolish the 11 existing shanty towns on August 10. However, those plans were short-lived as Supreme Court Justice, Cheryl Grant-Thompson granted an injunction ahead of this eviction date.

The injunction ordered the government and utility providers to halt any planned service disconnections or evictions in shanty towns, pending a judicial review of the government’s policy to eradicate those communities.

Bethel told Eyewitness News yesterday that as soon as they attain the hearing date, they will make it known.

The shanty town community is being represented by Fred Smith, whom we reached out to on Monday but our efforts were futile.