NASSAU, BAHAMAS — The Access Accelerator Small Business Development Centre and Disney Cruise Line have come together to award $150,000 in small business grants to 30 Central and South Eleuthera businesses.
The Eleuthera Grant Programme, sponsored by Disney Cruise Line, received more than 125 applications. Grant recipients in South and Central Eleuthera received up to $5,000 in funding each, along with training opportunities designed to further empower local businesses and entrepreneurs.
The courses covered more than 15 topics, including pricing models, developing marketing plans, understanding financial statements and writing an executive summary.
Kim Prunty, vice president of public affairs for Disney Cruise Line, said: “These grants are about so much more than just financial assistance. This program is about supporting Eleutherans and helping them grow their businesses for the long-term economic empowerment of their families and community.”
The Eleuthera Grant Programme is a part of Disney’s overall commitment to helping local business owners and entrepreneurs maximize their involvement in projects underway on Eleuthera, including Lighthouse Point.
Samantha L Rolle, director of external operations at Access Accelerator, expressed the organization’s appreciation for Disney Cruise Line and looks forward to seeing the impact of this partnership on small businesses on Eleuthera.
Rolle said: “Disney Cruise Line has provided the Access Accelerator with assistance that will undoubtedly foster growth and improve the small business sector on Eleuthera. We appreciate the funding that will allow many small businesses to operate at a higher level.
“More so, as partners, Disney Cruise Line has made sure that their assistance goes beyond financing but contributes to consistent education, training and accessibility to necessary tools for business owners on Eleuthera.
“The impact of Disney’s partnership with the Access Accelerator is going to be major in many ways for the Eleuthera small business sector and we are excited to have this partnership.”
Forty-three businesses successfully completed the training program, received a certificate of completion from Access Accelerator and advanced as a program finalist.
At the end of the adjudication process, 30 businesses received approval for grant funding: 23 existing businesses and seven startups. The businesses span across eight industries, including fishing, landscaping, e-commerce and delivery services. The $150,000 will impact 39 employees.
The adjudication committee of this initiative consisted of members from the Access Accelerator, Eleuthera Chamber of Commerce, Bahamas Agriculture Industrial Corporation (BAIC) and Kiwanis Club.
Below is the complete list of grant recipients:
- Breandra Whylly, BVB Painting.
- Brian Major Sheridan, Rock Sound Beverage.
- Cargil Munroe, Munroe Welding and Repair Services.
- Carla Symonette-Whylly Sharnette, Beef’s Seafood and Daiquiri Hut.
- Caroline Carey, EB’s Deli and Takeaway.
- Curry-Scott Edmilderia Deanndra, Mia’s Lettering & Designs.
- Davinia Cartwright-Vanhorn Cressenda, Da Melting Pot.
- DeAndrea Outten Paige, Wigged By Dreyuh.
- Eric Wallace Alexander, Glass Window Studios.
- Frances Friend Patricia, Fran’s Yum Yums trading as Frances Friend.
- Gabrielle Goodman-Dorsett Alicia, A & A Auto Imports.
- Grace Sweeting-Rolle, McGiver’s Enterprise.
- Gwendolyn Patram LM, Gwen’s Backyard Edibles.
- Insworth Wallace Antonio, The Only Rock Solid Construction.
- Johnnecia Pinder Shardae, Shardae — The Accessory Plug.
- Kevano Bullard, Nessa’s Kitchen.
- Marcus McPhee Anthony, Direct Couriers.
- Maquella Culmer, Kait and Kaliey’s Eatery.
- Marilyn Symonette M, Forever Beautiful Body Store.
- Nakesha Rolle Margaritta, Eunique Services.
- Nora Che Smith C, Rocky Hill Farm.
- Philip Bodie Alexander, Xtreme Game Xpress.
- Savio Symonette Stephen Dudley, Big Boy’s Trucking.
- Scott Jason Nathaniel, Jay’s Lawn and Order Landscaping.
- Sean Symonette Stephen, 3S holdings.
- Sherrelle Knowles Claudette, D & S Fancy Wieners.
- Sianna Rolle Alexus, Sisi’s Boutique.
- Thelma Walker, Relentless Sponges.
- Tillia Leary Shonell, Tilly’s Cosmetics.
- Yasmine Saunders-Michel Marcia, Alysha’s Snack Depot.