278 Chinese nationals, Pointe workers return home

278 Chinese nationals, Pointe workers return home

NASSAU, BAHAMAS — A total of 278 Chinese nationals and workers at The Pointe development departed The Bahamas yesterday bound for China.

More than 100 Chinese construction workers at the development demonstrated in front of the Chinese embassy in September to return home as work on the downtown project neared completion.

The workers had been in The Bahamas for over six months, and in some cases for more than a year.

Workers also expressed concerns about their safety amid a continued surge of cases of COVID-19 in The Bahamas.

Speaking to Eyewitness News, Counselor at the Chinese Embassy Haigang Yin said the workers and other Chinese nations were scheduled to depart around 7.45pm for Bulgaria, and then onto China.

“Altogether around 278, including workers and other Chinese nationals who stayed here who wanted to go back,” Yin said.

Yin said there were no plans to arrange another charter flight.

Following the demonstration in September, Yin said the embassy was working with China Construction America to “realize this charter flight.

Cases of COVID-19 have continued to surge daily in The Bahamas, particularly in New Providence.

As of Thursday, there were 4,864 confirmed cases in The Bahamas.

New Providence continues to lead cases with 3,660.