1 shot dead, 3 injured In Yellow Elder drive-by

1 shot dead, 3 injured In Yellow Elder drive-by

A late night shooting incident in Yellow Elder Wednesday pushed the country’s murder count up another notch and has left three persons hospitalized, authorities confirmed.

According to Solomon Cash, Chief Superintendent, Head of the Central Detective Unit (CDU) three males and one female were shot during the incident which unfolded on Lightbourne Avenue.

“Shortly after 9:20 p.m. police responded to reports of gunshots in this area. When police arrived on the scene they met four victims that were shot multiple times,” Chief Supt. Cash said.

Three of the injured victims were transported to hospital by Emergency Medical Services (EMS) while the fourth victim drove himself to the hospital, police confirmed.

According to Chief Supt. Cash one of the male gunshot victims succumbed to his injuries while receiving medical attention at the hospital.

“The only thing we can tell you at this time is that a vehicle drove through this corner, saw these persons outside of a residence here, and opened fire on them,” Chief Supt. Cash explained.

It is unclear whether it was a lone gunman in the vehicle or whether it was a group of persons that launched the late-night attack.

Authorities were unable to confirm if the drive-by shooting was gang-related.

Chief Supt. Cash allayed fears that crime might be on an uptick in the Yellow Elder community which was once well known as a crime “hot spot.”

“There is no fear that crime is escalating here,” he asserted.

“This was an isolated incident. Police are committed to looking at areas like this.

“In fact, police were just in this area moments before this incident unfolded.”

According to Eyewitness News records, the country’s murder count now stands at 11 for the year. This, however, does not include victims who may have passed away in hospital days after shooting incidents had been reported.

The shooting incident Wednesday night came 24 hours after a shooting incident through Kennedy Subdivision Tuesday night.

Police were called to that area after receiving reports of gunshots.

Upon arrival, officers found the lifeless body of a male inside of a residence with a gunshot wound to the head.

Police were unable to classify the shooting death Tuesday night.

Twenty-four hours later, Chief Supt. Cash said police are still conducting investigations to determine whether the incident was a homicide or suicide.

“We are referring to it as a death investigation. We have yet to determine whether it is a homicide or suicide; of course we will be awaiting the autopsy report and will then determine the cause of death,” he explained.

Chief Supt. Cash could give no timeline as to when police will have the autopsy completed.

Investigations are ongoing in both Tuesday and Wednesday nights’ shootings.

Authorities ask for anyone with information that could assist with their investigation to contact police at 911, 919, or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 328-TIPS.