Woman robbed, police a no show



Keva Bethel.

A resident of Victoria Gardens in the Tall Pines constituency cried shame on police Thursday, after they reportedly failed to show up to her house after she reported her car was stolen from her front yard that morning.

Keva Bethel telephoned Eyewitness News shortly before 3:00 p.m. yesterday and requested our assistance with the dilemma.

Within minutes, a news team was at her residence – a vast difference from the staggering nine hours she waited for police.

“I woke up early this morning, got ready to leave home and when I looked in my front yard, my car wasn’t there,” Bethel recalled.

“So, I telephone police at the Carmichael Road police station shortly after 7:00 a.m. When I spoke to the officer there, he said that his shift was about to end and that I would need to call back after 8:00.

“I called back … and the officer told me that I needed to contact the Cable Beach police station.”

It was at this point that Bethel said she was given a “run around” by authorities.

“The officer at Cable Beach, Inspector Miller, told me that there weren’t sufficient vehicles to send a unit to my house and that they were busy trying to transport someone to court,” she shared.

A flustered Bethel told Eyewitness News that she proceeded to telephone police at the Cable Beach station for hours to find out when a car would be available.

By 2:00 p.m. her patience had run out.

“I think it is crazy that I have to wait this long for police to show up to my house when I’ve been robbed of something that belonged to me,” she lamented.

“How does a news team arrive to me before the police? I cannot understand that.”

Eyewitness News contacted the Cable Beach police station and questioned Inspector Miller if police had in fact failed to send an officer to investigate the crime.

“I cannot say, because she was supposed to call me back the last time I spoke to her. She could tell you the last time that I spoke to her that she would call me if she didn’t get any assistance,” Insp. Miller confirmed.

Eyewitness News then questioned where the officer would suggest Bethel get assistance from if she had already telephoned the police.

He was also asked if Bethel had called the wrong station.

“There is no such thing as calling the wrong station,” he asserted.

“I contacted our control room from this morning and information as it relates to the description, make and model of the car, was sent out from at least 8:30 this morning when she contacted the station.”

Eyewitness News then questioned if it was the usual protocol for officers to simply log a robbery complaint without visiting the scene of the crime.

It was at this point in our conversation that the police officer hung up the telephone.

Further investigation and conversations with police at the Carmichael Road police station revealed that usual protocol would require officers to visit the scene of a robbery.

As for Bethel, she maintained that she does not feel safe.

“I don’t feel safe. I feel very vulnerable,” she exclaimed.

“My kids are here and having to go to sleep at night and my gate was closed and secured, (and I still got robbed), it’s a situation.”

Up to the publishing of this article, police could not confirm why an officer had not been sent to Bethel’s residence at Victoria Gardens.


i leave couple houses down and was have like 5 police officers living in this area and this is sad am not safe in this area no more

Comments are closed.