Two appear in court on separate murder charges

Two appear in court on separate murder charges

NASSAU, BAHAMAS – Franklyn Edgecombe,50, and Paul Adderley,26, appeared before Chief Magistrate Joyann Ferguson-Pratt on Thursday in the magistrate’s court on two separate murder charges.

Edgecombe was charged with the murder of Rico Ricardo Archer, which occurred on December 11, 2018.

According to police reports, Archer’s lifeless body was found in the Fort Fincastle area shortly after 8:00 p.m. on the date in question with gunshot wounds.

Edgecombe told the court that he was falsely accused of Archer’s murder and that Archer had reportedly filed a complaint with officers over threats from the baby’s father of Archer’s girlfriend. He added that he was recently released from prison in October and had no idea of the incident until he was arrested.

Edgecombe was not required to enter a plea and the Crown has agreed on a voluntary bill of indictment. He was remanded to The Department of Corrections until his trial, which is set for February 21, 2019.

Meanwhile, Paul Adderley was charged on four different matters including murder, armed robbery and possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition.

It is believed that he was responsible for the death of Mario Cartwright. According to reports, Cartwright’s body was found lying in the street in the area of Cooper’s Terrace off Kemp Road with injuries.

It is also alleged that Adderley robbed Nerline Philip of $200, the property of Manda’s Variety and Wholesale Snacks, back on December 12 armed with an offensive instrument.

Adderley was represented by attorney Shakah Serville, who claimed that his client was forced to make a confession and was subjected to cruel and inhumane conduct. He added that a plastic bag was reportedly placed over his head and he was stomped in his chest at the Central Detective Unit.

The accused was also charged with the possession of an illegal firearm and six rounds of 9mm ammunition.

Adderley was not required to enter a plea to any of the charges and the crown agreed on a voluntary bill of indictment.

He was remanded to the Department of Corrections until February 21.