One of the country’s newest track and field clubs is looking to make an impact on the sport locally, hosting its first track meet on Saturday, April 28.
The DTSP Wolf Pack/Walter Callander Track meet, will feature competitions in sprint races- 100, 200 and 400 metres (m) as well as relays and hurdles.
There will also be middle distance races, including the 800 and 1500m.
Athletes from other track clubs are invited to join in the events, which will also include javelin, shot put, and discus throws, as well as long and high jump.
“This is just another opportunity for some of our athletes to get on the track and work on their craft,” said DTSP Wolf Pack head coach Larry Clarke.
“We expect some stiff competition and we’re looking forward to a good meet.”
Although the curtains have already come down on the 2018 Caribbean Free Trade Agreement (CARIFTA) Games, athletes are still looking to qualify for the 2018 International Association of Athletic Federations (IAAF) World Under-20 Championships in athletics. The under-20 championships will take place July 10-15, at Ratina Stadium in Tampere, Finland.
Those seeking more information about the upcoming DTSP meet can contact coach Clarke via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 556-1113.
The DTSP Wolfpack track club has been in existence for four years and has just over 30 athletes on the roster.
The objectives of the club are:
- to support and advance the sport of track and field in The Bahamas, to build strong minds and bodies;
- to cultivate and maintain an organised, productive, and training environment;
- to instruct and require discipline and respect for coaches and all persons in authority;
- to stimulate and encourage the commitment necessary for both athletic and academic success;
- to promote the highest standards of conduct, fair play and good sportsmanship toward teammates and opponents alike and
- to position our athletes to become recipients of athletic scholarships from highly regarded academic institutions.
The event’s executive committee consists of the following: President, Larry Clarke; Vice President, Garven Taylor; Secretary, Gail Clarke; Treasurer, Sonia Gill; Asst. Treasurer, Denise Turnquest; Public Relations Coordinator, Phillip Gray; and IT Coordinator, Gareth Lewis.